Response to "The Work of Art in the Age of it's Technological Reproducibility" -Anna Garrett

While I was reading this article, I best understood it as comparing it to branding. Meanwhile I believe the authenticity of art is important and builds an "aura" that is meaningful, I often times become frustrated with the ability of brands to brand in a way that makes the same material way more expensive because of the associated name. For example, the way a piece of nylon can become 5x as expensive because it has the lulu lemon logo on it. Art however I think deserves the "aura" or as we would say now "clout" it receives. There is something about being able to see something that has been frozen throughout time, and yet still encapsulates the full quintessence of what the artist wished to portray while also speaking to individuals in a unique way.

Comments